I have over 15 years of defect analysis experience working at Eastern Alloys. My main role during this time at Eastern is to help our die casting customer diagnose casting defects and help determine the root cause of the defects. I have examined thousands of defective castings during my career and have learned that defects can be very difficult to properly diagnose. Often an incorrect dianoses can lead to hours and perhaps days of wasted time and energy. Using metallographic techniques, our services are designed to help diagnose die casting defects properly and direct you to the correct root cause quickly.
I have learned many things while anlayzing defects:
- A casting defect can be very deceiving. Even experienced die casters can have issues properly diagnosing defects. Often a metallurgical approach to diagnosing defects is required.
- Plating defects are the most difficult defect to properly diagnose. Arguments between plating and die casting companies are very common. Our approach to diagnosing plating defects can clearly show where the defect occurs in conjuction with the die casting and various plating layers.
- Die casting defects are not always due to the die casting process! Often times the root cause of the defect is due to an improperly designed runner system or poor part design. In these cases adjusting your process to compensate for the defect will just waste time. Design changes may be required.
- Having the proper tools and knowledge is vital. Today, most die casters still do not properly use or have shot monitoring systems or run PQ^2 calculations. These tools can help you diagnose defects very effectively, and should be required in your die casting facility.
- Changes in personnel are inevitable, and therefore continuing training is needed. Your new die casting or quality engineer may need assistance. Let us help.
I look forward to helping where I can. Please call to discuss how Eastern Alloys can assist you.
VP Engineering Services